Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When it rains... it pours... more bad news.

I have just spent the majority of the last 24 hours in such severe pain ~ that I wouldn't wish it upon my greatest of enemies. I have gotten maybe a glimpse of 3 hours of sleep ~ between positioning pillows, blankets, the floor, and wall for support.
I called the NIH about midnight last night to discuss all of this with them ~ and then some. I was on the phone for about 1 1/2 hours. They truly are a wonderful hospital with dedicated staff.
It was recommended that I go to the hospital today. I had no quarlms over that one!
My doctor's at the NIH informed me, that my cells did NOT grow. So ~ next step ~ to either come back and have the smaller tumour in my groin removed to see if those "fresh", not frozen cells can be use ~ and/or to do an aphoresis ~ to take the white blood cells from my body ~ and see if those can be manipulated for treatment.
However, first thing is first ~ this Kidney issue of mine. Yes, I should be re-joicing ~ no bone mets were found ~ however, it is believed that my kidney/s may be failing ~ they are not draining ~ which may be causing this intense pain. It is highly likely that I will need a stint put in.
So ~ there it is ~ one thing after another. I'm in the process of getting my morphenine for this evening ~ I can't wait. I hope it does miracles.
I am a very tolerable person when it comes to pain ~ honestly.
It looks as though my near future has two upcoming surgeries pending ~ and this still doesn't even address the issue of the pelvis tumours continued growth ~
The NIH said that they will work on finding a treatment for me. I'm not sure ~ that I can understand, how a bad kidney or two can effectively tolerate to high toxity doses of chemo... I remember the damage that the IL-2 did to my kidneys.
No one ever said that fighting cancer was going to be easy ~
I can only say ~ if you know of anyone at all ~ who is going through this ~ give them ALL the Support that YOU can. It is comforting ~ especially at 2 am!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through all of this. The medication tonight should help A LOT, and I'm hoping for a peaceful night's sleep for you so you can come back fighting strong tomorrow. So many people have you in their thoughts and hearts, and that's because of the wonderful person YOU are :) Sleep tight sister.

Carrie said...

I've had the kidney stint surgery- it's not so bad...especially if it will help relieve the pain. Mine was only kindey stone related. I feel for you and keep you in my thoughts daily.

Anonymous said...

Becky,

I am so sorry that you are going thru such incredible pain, I do hope that the morphine takes hold SOON. I wish you well that you will be able to find a treatment that will work for you.

Nancy D
MPIP
Vacaville, CA

Anonymous said...

Hang tough... So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I pray that you get relief soon - and that a treatment surfaces that has YOUR name all over it.

We're praying for you all the way in Reno, NV. Keep up the fight!

Brenda