Sunday, September 21, 2008

Introduction to the TIL


"Curiosity is an intregal part of life..."


I know that many may be unaware of what the TIL treatment is or what it stands for ~ So, I thought that I would post the "Description of Research Study" from the NIH. I requested it, for my benefit as well... because, I do believe that curiosity is an intregal part of life. It is a necessity when dealing with cancer treatments. There are options availible on a limited basis ~ and determined by many factors: the stage of our disease, prior treatment hisotry, blood markers, and the list goes on and on...
This week will none-the-less... be a long one. Waiting and hoping, once again... that my cells are "receptive" in the lab. It is yet, another vital component and detremental factor to link me to the availibility of the treatment.
So, here's "hoping" ~ that my cells grow in mass... the "gazzilions" :) as many on the mpip board have cheered!!! and that they actively fight the beast in the lab!!!!

Description of Research Study: (provided by NIH)
Your doctor has told you that you have been diagnosed with melanoma and there is no treatment availible at this time that has been shown to cure your melanoma. We invite you to take part in this research study that is trying to find effective treatments for patients with melanoma. To participate in this study you must have a specific blood type known as HLA-AO201 and you will have had to been treated with interleukin 2 and had to have progressive disease to be eligible for this study.
The purpose of this study is to determine whether we can treat melanoma by taking cells from your tumor called tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) or cells from your blood called peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBL), then put an anti-melanoma protein receptor in the cells with gene therapy, and growing them in the lab in large numbers to then give the cells back to the patient. We will test whether this experimental regiment can cause your tumor to shrink, as well as test the safety of this and the effects on the immune system.
Before giving the cells back to you we will suppress (make it less able to fight) your immune system with two chemotherapy in order to create room for your cells and to prevent the immune system cells from causing a negative effect on the tumor-fighting cells.(sometimes, we are unable to successfuly gow the tumor fighting cells needed for this procedure...if your TIL or PBL do not grow..you will not be able to recieve the cell infusion...) Although, these gene-modified cells can destroy tumor cells in the test tube, this has only recently been done in humans...
If, your cells grow and you are eligible we will begin a chemotherapy regimen followd by giving you back your cells through a small plastic catheter that is put into your vein in your arm or neck, if the cells need to be given through a larger vein either in your upper chest or in your neck. You will be administered to the hospital (the NIH, in Bethesda, MD) For seven days prior to receiving your cells you will be given two chemotherapy medicines to suppress your immune system so the cells we give you can work without any interference from the cells in your immune system.
The two chemo medicines are called: cyclophosphamide and fludarabine. The cyclo..will be given into your IV over 1 hour for two days and the fludarabine will be given into your IV for 30 minutes every day for the fie days following the cyclo...
All patients will be given the cells through their IV over 20-30 minutes one to four days after the last dose of chemo. Within 24 hours after your cell infusion you will be given high dose aldesleukin(also called interleukin 2). It will be given as a 15 minute infusion every 8 hours for up to five days after the cell infusion.
(we will watch you closely during this entir time for any side effects of this regimen-)
Side Effects: The risks and discomforts of this research study can be significant and participation is only offered to patient-volunteers with metastatic disease who have not responded to standard treatments for their cancer. It is possible, but extremely unlikely, that this experimental treatment may cause your death. Other side effects:
Chemo:
significant decrease in the number of normal white blood cells in your body for about 2-4 weeks, increasing the risk of infection
significant decrease in the number of platelets (blood clotting cells) increasing the risk of bleeding
significant decrease in the red cells in your blood, makin you feel tired
nauseas and vomitting
hair loss
loss of fertitily
Fludarabine:
can frequently cause sore mouth, diarrehea, rashes, fatigue (including extreme fatigue) muscle or joint aches, and loss of appetite. An extremely rare effect: blindness
Cyclophospamide: may cause heart damage, lung damage, extreme fatigue, or kidney damage. Bladder irritation that cause bleeding.
Supportive medicines: bone pain, adult respiratory distress, fever, skin rash with itching, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which can be fatal, (if you get a rash..notify your Doc immediately), delirium, tremors, coma, emotional changes, abnormal eegs, stomach upset headache, sweating, blood in urine, low blood pressure, low platelet count, constipation, and in rare cases uremic syndrome or clotting abnormalitites, infection of a virus which causes a type of cancer or precancerous condition that grows in the brain and spinal cord.

ok...
the list goes on and on... (whew... I think that's enough for now! more than I cared to know... but glad... that I was curious... I can at least now inform my caregivers what signs/symptoms to look for)

After your last dose of IL-2 you will recover in the hospital from the side effects until your blood counts recover and you feel well enough to go home. This usually take 5-10 days aftery your last dose of IL-2. You will continue to receive the G-CSF (filgrastim) until your blood counts recover. You will need to continue to take the Bactrim for at least 6 months.
******************************************************************************

If I am accepted into this protocol trial ~ my mother has informed me, that she will be by my side throughout treatment... and some of my family members will try and keep up my blogsite the best they can... (they first need an introductory lesson: 101 "blog-posting" LOL)
My mother has asked me, if I will shave my hair before treatment... I'm not sure if I will.. however, I am considering cutting the majority of it off and donating it ~ to a good cause/organization ~ any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. She has also asked, if I wanted her to shave her head too?... she said matter-of-factly... It brought/brings tears to my eyes... to think of the generous offer... and it would absolutely mean alot to me. I told her... not to expect me to hold back the tears on this one! I am strong... yet, there is a certain aspect of the human element at hand.
********************************************************************************
So, once again.. hang on tight ~ with me. We are waiting the results of the growth of my tumour cells...
*********************************************************************************
I plan on fighting this damn beast with all I've got ~
I've got a rainbow and the end awaiting me! :) My Tropical Oasis... home away from home... and alot of Life to LIVE!!!
*******************************************************************************
As ALWAYS... I Thank YOU ~ my reader's for your continued private/personal thoughts and messages of warmth, love, and prayer ~ it truly is a healing aide. I continue to believe in the power that other's have ~ to make a difference ~ in the lives of another!
Stay Strong ~ Live Long ~ and Enjoy Life (the simpliest of pleasures are often the ones are severely overlooked) Don't forget ~ enjoy each other... find good in all.

No comments: