Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good News ~ Not so Good News


Gene therapy transforms cells into tumor killers
Experimental treatment saves two men dying of end-stage melanoma


Origer family via AP
Mark Origer, 53, of Watertown, Wis., his daughter Katie at her wedding last fall, an event he had feared he wouldn't live to see. Origer underwent an experimental gene therapy for his end-stage melanoma and is disease-free almost two years later.


updated 5:10 p.m. ET, Thurs., Aug. 31, 2006
WASHINGTON - Mark Origer entered the last-ditch experiment hoping to beat back his melanoma for a few months, long enough to walk his daughter down the aisle. He got far luckier: Almost two years later, his body shows no signs of the aggressive skin cancer.

Government scientists rescued Origer and one other man with advanced melanoma by genetically altering their own white blood cells to turn them into tumor fighters.

The treatment didn’t help 15 other melanoma victims. So scientists are trying to strengthen it to work better.


Still, the National Cancer Institute called its experiment, unveiled Thursday, the first real success in the long quest for gene therapy for cancer — because it fought the disease’s worst stage, when it had spread through the body, not just single tumors.

And it did so in a way far different than today’s standard options, by harnessing patients’ immune systems to continually search out and kill tumors.

“It’s not like chemotherapy or radiation, where as soon as you’re done, you’re done,” said Dr. Steven Rosenberg, the NCI’s surgery chief who led the research published Thursday by the journal Science. “We’re giving living cells which continue to grow and function in the body.”

Doctors can’t predict how the therapy’s first two successful patients will fare long term. Melanoma, which kills almost 8,000 Americans annually, is notorious for returning years after patients think they’ve subdued it.

“I’m cured for now,” is how a grateful Origer, 53, of Watertown, Wis., puts it.

He recalls his doctors’ wide grins when, just a month after his December 2004 treatment, his tumors started to shrink. By his daughter’s wedding last fall, just one small cancerous spot remained, on his liver. Surgeons later cut it out. A checkup from NCI doctors this week confirmed that Origer is still cancer-free.


********************************************************************
Life is so full of amazing and inspirational people and stories. It's unbelievable, how greatly disperse we are and how vastly populated this continent is ~ yet; in the midst of it all ... we seem to find one another.
It's incredible. Truly incredible. The compassion and outreach that we, as human beings, give to one another; especially in times of need. The Power of: YOU ~ is Alive! I've been touched, once again.
I can remember, about two years ago, when I was in the "midst" of my newely dx stage and didn't know where to turn. I was just about to have my first visit to the NIH to see if I qualified for any of their clinical trials; when, my daughter brings home here Science Weekly Reader. She remember hearing the conversations about the NIH and Dr. Rosenburg's new gene therapy treatments. Low and behold, there she was... bringing home an article about Dr. Rosenberg and how he cured a fellow Melanoma patient; Mark Origer. I remember the day well. Quit vividly, actually. I remember Mark's story, and how grateful he was to see his daughter walk down her wedding isle.
The story brought much faith and hope in light of our circumstances. And, so, now, here I am almost 2 1/2 years later... wrighting to YOU ~ I know, and believe, that if it weren't for Dr. Rosenberg and his studies... I wouldn't be alive today. I continue to believe... Faith, Hope, and a whole-lot of other factors are on my side!
The amazing part ~ so too, is Mark Origer! He read my "Benefit for Becky" story, contacted me via e-mail, and has called me personally to say "Hello"... just to let me know, to keep up the faith... that he owes his life to Dr. Rosenburg and the NIH.
Without a doubt, I too ~ owe the time that I have been given to the same team of wonderful people at the NIH. I can't say enough, much like Mark.
I'm touched by his compassion. I'm touched by YOUR compassion. YOU continue to make a difference. It means alot ~ to someone in need. Even the simpliest of things... as calling to say "hello" ~
********************************************************************************
I as well, unfortunately, on another sad note; was informed that a woman that I briefly met at the NIH at the request of a friend ~ recently passed. I had mentioned her in an earlier blog posting. She was unsure of what she should do with the last of her time ~ she had mentioned that she wanted to sell her car and travel the US. I do so, honestly hope that she full-filled her last wish.
It's never easy to hear of the passing of another fellow Melanoma Warrior. Even brief encounters touch the heart and soul. I'm glad that I was able to stop in her room at the NIH even to just say "hello" on a friends behalf ~ I know that it meant alot to both parties ~ and as well ~ to me ~ it's the power that we all posses to make a slight difference.
Continue to Believe. Continue to Fight. Continue to Stay Strong. Never Give Up. Never Loose Faith.
********************************************************************************
~and yet, tonight will be another restless night ~ my scan results should hopefully be in tommorrow at my oncologist appointment ~ anxious anticipation... I am waiting... nervously.

No comments: