Monday, November 3, 2008

NIH NEWS...




Ok ~ Cheering and applauding ~ now allowed!!! It's official: my cells are growing in the lab and actively fighting the melanoma!!! Way to go! :)

So, I won't have much time. I will be flying out to Bethesda this Thursday so that early Friday a.m. I will be able to do my aphresis. This procedures usually takes about 4 hours for me (my veins never co-operate!).
I will then return home for about 2 weeks, at which time, I am hoping to spend some time ~ solo ~ to find my Zen ~ peace ~ before the TIL treatment starts.
I will be scheduled to start the TIL at the beginning of December, right after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, it looks as though I may be at the NIH during/throughout Christmas.
It's going to be rough... but, my fellow assured me that on the onset of any problems, they will stop the procedure. I will also, most definately loose all of my hair (which, I was already well aware of). She said that basically the first several days of chemo were rough to tolerate... but, I won't let my mind go there, right now.
I will leave the address for the NIH ~ all well wishes will greatly be appreciated.
I'm not sure who, if anyone will be able to keep up with my posts here... I will do my best to find someone.
The National Cancer Institue
c/o Suzanne Inchauste, M.D. for Rebecca Luker
10 Center Drive
Building 10, Floor 3NW
Bethesda, MD 20892

Pray that this is the miracle cure! Thank you Mark Origer for your wishes and thoughts ~ I am so happy for your continued NED status! Mark is one of the first to be cancer free from the TIL treatment at the NIH. He continues to stay in contact and send's his thoughts, prayers, and support as so many of you do.
Thank You All
My Best,
Becky

10 comments:

Amy Waldrop said...

Becky!
This is GREAT NEWS! I'm so happy for you. I'll definately come to see you (if you are up for it) during your December visit! Stay strong!

Love,
AmyW from Virginia

Anonymous said...

Becky: Congrats on the good news. I have done TIL at NCI and it, honestly, is not that bad. The worst part is getting up every two hours with the first chemo, in order to urinate. The second chemo is a breeze- I would leave the hospital and go out to dinner. They have a drug for every side effect and, while I was there for 28 days, it really was manageable. Unfortuately, it did not work for me...but everyone is different. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

So this means you'll be back home around the 15th. I'll have to stop by and say hello.

xoxo
love ya, miss ya
jp

Carver said...

Hey Becky,

Can you hear me cheering in North Carolina. Well I am. I hope and pray that this will prove to be the CURE for you. As ever, Carver

Unknown said...

*high kick and shakes poms poms*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

significantly good news requires significantly good visuals!!!

(you'll thank me later)

SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

Really great news Becky. I'm very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I find it very conincidental that your treatment dates will coincide very closely with mine.
I started the TIL on 12/07/04 and left the NIH on 12/28/04. Let's hope that your response lines up with mine also.

Mark O
Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! I have tears in my eyes! You go, Girl!!!!!!

Tina Sullivan said...

Becky,
I am so happy for you. My heart skipped a beat when I read the news. FANTASTIC!!

Tina

Unknown said...

Sorry if this is offensive to any one...well not really...
FUCK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUCK CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and every single cap is a staccato on my keyboard!!!!!
Becky you are poised to kick this craps ass!...thats an order!