Friday, November 7, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

All I can say is "what a day"! I am very tired but trying my best to hold out until later this evening. I have once again been overwhelmed by the events of the day. It's exhausting work ~ staying in the hospital! (lol...)
BRight and early at 6 am I was taken to the unit to put a catheder in my femural artery. I was once again given sedative medicine. The Doctor was so funny... he told me to trust him that the medicine was good stuff... he has taken it once or twice! Such crazy Doctor's here ~ yet, they are extremely competent. I don't even think that I had gotten to sleep by the time he was finished with the procedure.
This was my first time for this particular procedure and it was quit similiar to the stint placement. I would imagine that I should be ready next month for my pic line placement. They are going to put it in my shoulder and run it to my heart.
I have been given so many details and facts about next months treatment. I was told that I will be able to get a wig while I was here and that I probably wouldn't loose my hair right away. They also have a barber who will come up to your room to shave/cut your hair when you are ready.
They have discussed all aspects of the treatment and possible side effects with me. I will be monitered quit well. As for the aphoresis this morning, all went well. My blood was taken out and re-circulated into my body 5 times. They got a nice amount of cells which I am very happy about. It was discomforting and I had much pain from the tumor because I did not have my am meds. However, the med's are now in me and I finally got some food in my stomach.
I wanted to get word out so that everyone would know that all went well. I just need to keep an eye on the vein to make sure that it clots properly. They didn't stitch it up ~ just compressed it. This will be something to keep my eye on.
Well, I am still a bit dizzy and tired so I will try to get a cat nap in. I hope that everyone has a nice weekend.
Before I end this post ~ on an afterthought, I wanted to inform you of Simon's passing. If you were following his posts at cancerjournal ~ he is from England ~ and battled bravely. You may link to him from my site and send your condolences. Yet another great melanoma warrior lost.
Take Care
I send my Love,
Becky

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Becky, You don't know how good your post makes me feel. GREAT!!!! I will try to make it into NIH in December to visit. (Want to see MEL getting it's ASS kicked.) I didn't have a great week for the iL-2 but made it thru again. Since I returned home, Ive had several phone calls a day from my Dau in Ok, giving me lists of things to do for her. (She has run up over $400 in phone charges in 5 days..) She wants another several thousand spend on her that we do not have. I might wind up trying the TIL. I have one larger tumor that doesn't seem to want to slow down. Iss there any restriction in hours for visitation when you return in December to NIH? Will keep praying for your success.

Jerry