Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Benefit for Becky

I want to start by saying how truly honoured and touched I am by all the generousity, kindness, and support that so many of you have given to. As I have often mentioned in many of my earlier posts, I find such great comfort in the simplier things in this life.
For those of you, who have taken the time to to devote yourself to this incredible Benefit undertaking; and for those of you, who will undoubtably participate. To those of you, who have sent Greeting Cards of warmth and thoughts of prayer and hope the same; I send my Sincerest of Thanks and Praise. I have truly been blessed by having you in my life... and, even if, you are a new, unknown friend... you are the best.
The Power of YOU! has truly come through.
In the midst of all, that I am battling, and fighting for... I am uplifted. My spirit once again, soars.
I have always believed that I was called into this Life, for a greater purpose. A purpose, that I always believed existed, yet was unforseen. I know, that the day will come; when I all my dreams will be alive. I know, that I am now, more Alive than ever.
I had hoped to help raise Awareness about Melanoma. I had hoped that I could make a difference in someone else's life. I had hoped to change the thoughts and views about the dreaded topic: Cancer.
There will always be faith, and there will Always be HOPE.

I am now, once again home, from the National Cancer Institute. I had my most recent surgery about two weeks ago. It was a bit rough, I must say! I know that many like updates...and I know, that it really helps me, to share. I was told that I had quit a bit of blood loss and that I almost needed a blood transfusion. The Doctor's as well, upon waking, stated that 1 tumour in my pelvis was entirely removed, however, it was with disappointment; that the other could not be entirely resected. A "thin strip" had to be left on one of my major arteries. The option was to either leave a portion of the tumour, or take out the artery. Had the artery been taken out, I was told, that I would have been permanentaly disabled. The good news: the surgery met it's main goal and objective. To resect tumour cells, for the possible growth process that is needed for future treatment plans/options. (ie: the TIL)
I will be returning to the NIH at the beginning of July for my scans and results. I am once again, on a "wait and see" status. There needs to be a "measurable" sign of disease before any treatments can begin.
It has been a very long, journey. The path has been pathed with many trials and tribulations.

I was recently sent a very uplifting and inspirational thought: it doesn't matter if they tell you that you have a 1 % chance, a 50 % chance, or a 20 % chance. As long as you have faith, and hope, and belief... you have the will to FIGHT.

I will continue to battle this beast! I hope that you will continue to support me in the FIGHT!
In all honesty, truly, the simplier things that you do... have made a difference. So, IT IS: IN, THE POWER OF YOU! to reach within the POWER of me.

Thank-You All.

[some additional notes: added to the Benefit for Becky: If you have any questions or would like to make a donation call Bobby at 330-990-1247 or Renee at 330-819-8719 or you can make a check payable to Becky Luker Benevolent Fund at any First Merit Bank or mail a check to the North Hill Branch of the U.S. Post Office at 574 E. Cuyahoga Falls Avenue, Akron Ohio 44310.]

15 comments:

Carver said...

Dear Becky, I just want you to know that you remain very much in my thoughts and I'm sending a ton of good vibes out for you. I've always felt like no matter what the statistics there's no reason not to assume we'll be on the good side of them. I like the way you put it here and I just wanted to add that even if it's 20 or 5 or 1 percent, I'm focusing my thoughts that you'll be in that 20 or 5 or 1 percent that DO make it. I'm glad there is a benefit being done for you. I know it's hard to deal with the cancer and then also the financial issues. As ever, Carver

Bolder said...

i'm with Carver.

and, i'm so glad to hear you are home again, and the surgery is behind you...

you've been in my thoughts, more than you would ever know.

warmly, Greg.

Tracy said...

You're such an incredible woman, I can't even fathom your courage and strength, but I can very, very easily appreciate it. Thank you for being so brave and such an amazing source of positive energy. It can only come back to you, and I hope it does tenfold. Sending you my best, and a really big hug too :)

Marianne said...

Dear Becky,
I'm so glad that you're recovering from your surgery and that people are trying to help you financially. I really hope you can make it out to California some day when you're up to it and that we could do a Hawaii trip. Please stay well so that we could do something fun like that. There's always hope, as you said.

Take care, Becky. Glad you're feeling positive.

Marianne

drbubba said...

I'm sending all our hope and strength to you.

Carrie said...

Sending you love and well wishes. Keep at it!

tri-mama said...

add me and my family to the list of folks in your corner wishing you the best and praying for you

momo said...

hey, becky. i followed bolder over to your blog, and i want you to know that i find you to be an inspiration. keep up your with your positive affirmations, i absolutely agree that you can move mountains with your mind.

big hugs to you, girl. you are a true inspiration.

SimplyStu said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and friends in this fight. Continue your brave journey and know that many you will never meet stand next to you every step of the way.

triguyjt said...

becky.. thanks much to bolder who sent great vibes your way in steering us to your site...

many thoughts and prayers to you as you fight with grace and dignity.

Duckboy said...

Another first time reader courtesy of your friend Bolder.

Keep your spirits high and know that you have an army behind you whose thoughts, prayers and hope go out to you and your family.

Supalinds said...

I followed Bold's link to your blog. I want you to know my thoughts are with you!

monica said...

hi becky!!!

bold sent me too. so glad i found your blog!! you are a true inspiration and reminder of what is truly important in life. sending you ALL GOOD HEALING VIBES!!! through the power of YOU and the collective conscious that surrounds you, YOU WILL KICK CANCER'S ASS!!!

please keep us posted on your healing!!!

love from california,
-monica

Anonymous said...

Becky...
Glad to hear o kicked some Melanoma Butt!! O are a beautiful gal and an inspiration to all!! Keep up the good fight...don't give in one bit!!
Gentle Hugs...
Debbie Stage 4 Survivor MPIP

Anonymous said...

From a Postal family member in the Northeast - you go girl... I'll keep you in my thoughts. Stay positive and keep smiling.

MC