Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FRIENDSHIP


First, and foremost, I would like to say Thank-You to so many very wonderful people; in my life.
You have all been a great blessing. I have been truly touched by everyones generousity; warm kind words, thoughts, and prayers.
The photo is of my crazy daughter and her best friend. My daughter (Jennifer, is on Barbaras back) They have been best friends since Kindergarten. I truly admire their friendship. They have been through so many years of good and bad. They and I look forward to their continued friendship well into life.
And so, with that, I wanted to share a poem: it is dedicated to a wonderful person, that I call, Friend.
the smile
As the tears do weep
my face is asleep.
The beautiful smile
was scourned;
by cancer,
forlorn.
Out of kindness
in hand
my fellow man;
luv is deep,
emotions do creep.
Through heartfelt appreciation
my face awakens.
The beautiful smile,
all the while;
once torn,
is yet to be mourned.
Cancer will not defeat
the Thankful retreat.
Alive is she!
the beautiful smile, and me.
************************************************************************************
yesterday, I received news from the NIH. It's always a rollercoaster ride; as many of you are all too aware. Apparently, surgery is once again being ruled out; its a last resort, for a wide variety of reasons. Systematic approach, is still preferred. The NIH believes that I may be a good candidate for the TRC. Its similiar to the TIL. The only problem lies in the fact that they can not extract my tumour to grow the cells, so, through aphoresis, they will take my white blood cells, try to manipulate them, and grow them. This process will take about 3-4 weeks. Then, it is time... I will be admitted for a good month, or more. Seven days of chemo, to wipe my immune system out, then to put in the cells, and then, to boost it, followed by IL-2. I really had my hopes up, that I wouldn't have to do this treatment. It's not going to be easy, by any means. I have met and spoke with several people who have done the treatment. They are so brave, and strong. I know, that it is the only treatment for melanoma right now, that has a 50/50 chance of working... I know, those are great stats. I'm scared. I'm most definately going to loose all my hair. A bit emotional for me.
It is wonderful, to know, that I have friends, who care so much.
My friend, called me last night, to ask me, if it would be alright to have a dinner/raffle fundraiser for me. I am truly touched, and honoured. I never expected anything or anyone, to do this for me. I am grateful. You are all so very wonderful. It brings tears of happiness. I thank you all.
I will keep you informed. The NIH will call me next week, to let me know, if my tumour cells have the right protein markers that are needed for this treatment. (we know how that goes!!!) In the meantime, I am going to try to get back to work, for a bit. I can't just sit around here, it'll drive me mad!!! lol... all this "wait and see"... works on one!
ps... yes, absolutely, feel free to e-mail me, personally. Summerbead69@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Carver said...

I love the photograph of your daughter with her friend. Also the poem is great.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through so much and will have to wait and see about whether your tumor cells have the right markers.

You are very much in my thoughts and a ton of good vibes are winging your way. As ever, Carver